Monday, November 15, 2004

We have a winner!

Hi guys--just want to announce a winner in my contest: Robert Kennedy of NYC correctly identified "Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" as the new film sharing the "Don't Say We Didn't Warn You!" tagline used to advertise "Carnival of Souls" in 1972 for my Yale horror film society, co-founded by Bill Moseley, now a big-shot horror film star in Hollywood (soon to be seen in the sequel to "House of 1000 Corpses").

And also to say that I had a ball sitting in last night at the Knitting Factory with Project Object, those wacky Zappaphiliacs led by madman Andre Cholmondley. Along for the ride was the one and only Ike Willis, the legendary Napoleon Murphy Brock, and my young buddy Joey Hendel who plays auxiliary trombone in Gods and Monsters when he's not off cracking the books at Yale. This was my 4th or 5th appearance with these dudes and they are really something else: my guy Denny Walley, who plays with me in The Magic Band, recently sat in with them in Atlanta in their never-ending cross-country peregrinations (and it's funny, because I was meeting Nappy for the first time in 29 years, last time was in Syracuse my hometown when Frank's Bongo Fury tour rolled in to play the War Memorial (horrible name for a venue!) there which is where I hooked up with Don Van Vliet and told him after 4 years of friendship that I, uh, played guitar and wanted to audition for his projected next edition of The Magic Band (which was at that point defunct after devolving into the Tragic Band...but we won't go into that). Was also the first time I met and hung with Denny, who was in Frank's group at the time, and whom I also much love to play with. Anyway I joined the PO boys alongside Napoleon and we tore through a gutbucket version of King Kong, I had brought along my '66 sea-foam green strat for the occasion...what fun, the fans mobbed me afterwards, including the Doctor Dark boys down from my old college town of New Haven.

Night before I was out and about at the Deitch Projects Gallery on Wooster Street with my guy Ernie Brooks, longtime God and Monsters bassist, and our buddy Jerry Harrison, hit record producer (Live, Von Bondies, new Kenny Wayne Shepard album) and former Talking Head keyboardist, and we were checking out lit wunderkind JT Leroy who was having a reading in his honor (JT is currently the hottest young chronicler of the seamy soft white underbelly of American teenage gothic hijinkx--don't say I didn't warn you!"), In attendance were JT's bandmates Thistle from SF (JT writes lyrics for them), and readers Lou Reed, Tatum O'Neill, Garbage's Shirley Manson, our boy Jerry, poet Mary Karr, and a bunch more icons, all strung together by bon mots courtesy of MC Casey Fischer (of the band Fischerspooner)...it was like a big love-fest/happening not seen in these parts since the 80's gallery hey-day. The after-party was pretty cool too at the Tribeca Grand. You would have dug it be. Jerry Harrison's just mixed a track for me for the forthcoming Gods and Monsters new album...stay tuned!

Have to catch a plane for Geneva now, more sooner than later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment